McHenry County Sheriff Offers Tips for Holiday Crime Prevention
Along with the joy of the holidays, crime can also accompany the seasonal activities of shopping, traveling and donation solicitation.
The McHenry County Sheriff’s Office offers several crime prevention tips for this time of year.
- Avoid placing holiday gifts in plain sight from a home’s window, or in a car.
- Make sure to lock your doors and windows when you leave your home.
- When you’re not at home, keep a radio/tv and lights on, so the residency looks occupied.
- Ask a friend or relative to watch your house while you’re away on travel.
- Arrange for snow to be removed from your driveway and sidewalks when you’re away.
- Have mail and newspaper delivery stopped during your travels.
- Avoid leaving boxes from recent purchases outside on the curb for trash pickup, as those boxes give potential burglars an idea of what’s inside the premises.
- If you give to charitable organizations, choose them carefully and make sure they are legitimate.
- Beware of people who arrive at your home and tell you they are city employees or representatives of utility companies. If you didn’t ask them to check on your home, check with authorities to determine their credentials and purpose.
- Test your smoke detectors and don’t leave Christmas lights on while you are away from home, or sleeping.
McHenry Country residents are invited to request a Vacation House Watch for the period of time they are away for the holidays.